Le Boat, Europe’s largest operator of self-drive boating vacations, will officially begin taking reservations for its first North American destination in Ontario, Canada’s historic Rideau Canal, on May 15, 2017 for the 2018 boating season.
With no experience required, Le Boat makes it easy for vacationers to discover the unparalleled natural scenery of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lined with rich history and a vibrant culture, the route takes travelers down a chain of beautiful lakes, rivers and canals between Ottawa and Kingston.
All cruises will start and finish at the Smith Falls base located mid-way between Ottawa and Kingston. Suggested routes are offered, however, travelers have complete flexibility with their itinerary and the freedom to cruise as much or as little as they want, ensuring the boats are returned at the agreed date and time.
The new base will launch with a fleet of 16 state-of-the-art Horizon cruisers offering a high level of comfort with large forward staterooms and roomy upper deck with sunbathing area equipped with al-fresco dining amenities. Each spacious en-suite cabin comes with air-cooling and heating system as well as plenty of USB ports accessible for passengers to recharge their portable gadgets.
Le Boat is looking to expand this fleet to at least 32 cruises in the next five years. A seven-day cruise on a two-cabin horizon boat, sleeping four starts at CA$2,380 (US$1,775). This cost does not include fuel or marina fees to park your boat.
THINGS TO DO ON THE RIDEAU CANAL
The historic area offers visitors culturally enriching experiences unique to Canada where culture vultures could:
- Discover a little slice of Netherlands with a Canadian twist at Ottawa’s annual Canadian Tulip Festival in May
- Find North America’s only remaining operating grist mills in Manotick, Ottawa
- Explore Canada’s prettiest village, Merrickville, also dubbed as the ‘Jewel of the Rideau’
From fabulous fine-dining experiences, to chic boutiques and trendy watering holes, the area also caters to those who prefer the “finer thing in life” where they could:
- Spoil themselves at Perth Brewery and try its maple-flavored ale for a true taste of Canada
- Indulge in a lakeside wine-tasting and lunch at the Scheuermann Vineyard and Winery in Westport
- Test your knowledge of cheese in Portland at the Forfar Cheese Factory, the oldest in Ontario
- Marvel at mouth-watering, handcrafted chocolate creations at Ridgeway Confections in Seeley’s Bay
With diverse geography and access to crystal clear waters, the area is a thrill seekers wonderland. Adventurous vacationers could:
- Learn how to fish in Newboro, a favorite sport among fishermen for over 120 years
- Go climbing at the spectacular Kingston Crag at Kingston Mills or head to Canada’s tallest indoor wall located in Kingston
- Get in touch with nature at Baxter Conservation Area and wonder through the picture-perfect forest, wetlands and meadows
Le Boat is the leading self-drive boating rental company, with more than 40 years of experience in the industry, operating its own fleet of 900 self-drive cruisers from a network of over 37 different departure bases across eight European countries. Renters can sleep on board in 5-Star comfort and style, saving substantially on hotel costs. All boats feature fully equipped kitchens, comfortable furnishings, showers and bathrooms, and warm air heating. They also feature air-conditioning, depending on the model. No experience or boating license is necessary. Instructions and an orientation are provided to first-time renters, ensuring they get the most out of their boating vacation. Unlike conventional cruises that follow a pre-planned itinerary, Le Boat provides guests with suggested itineraries but allows them to visit the towns and attractions that most interest them on a particular route. For more information, call toll-free at 1-800-734-5491 or visit www.leboat.com.