Viking® celebrated new accolades from Cruise Critic®, the world’s largest online cruise resource. In the 2018 Editors’ Picks Awards, Cruise Critic honored Viking with five awards in the luxury ocean and river categories. For the second consecutive year, Viking has won more Editors’ Picks awards than any other river or ocean cruise line. Though the category has historically been dominated by the traditional, formal cruise lines, this year Cruise Critic has awarded Viking three prestigious luxury ocean awards – including Best Luxury Value for Money, Best Spa and the highly-coveted Best New Luxury Ship. The company was also recognized in two river categories that differentiate it from competitors: Best for First-Timers and Best Itineraries. The full list of Editors’ Picks Awards can be viewed on Cruise Critic here.
Cruise Critic Editors’ Picks
Cruise Critic boasts the world’s largest online cruise community, with more than 350,000 cruise reviews, covering approximately 700 cruise ships and nearly 500 worldwide ports. The Editors’ Picks Awards combine Cruise Critic editors’ impartial cruise expertise – based on first-hand experiences and industry knowledge – to help travelers select the best cruise vacation from an increasing number of cruise options. In ranking Viking in the top spot for five different awards, Cruise Critic’s editors commented with the following:
• Best Value for Money – Luxury: “Viking knows what its guests value, and it delivers in every way. Cruises on Viking include many items you’d pay extra for on other [ocean] cruise lines: shore excursions, self-service laundry, some drinks and access to the thermal spa among them. Viking’s no-nickel-and-diming attitude means its passengers rarely have to pull out their wallets once onboard. And all this comes on beautifully appointed ships with spacious, modern cabins.”
• Best New Luxury Ship – Viking Orion: “Viking Orion’s most innovative new feature is its breathtaking planetarium, where passengers are dazzled by 3D films, astronomy lectures and stargazing. But it’s not just the planetarium that wows. Viking Orion is thoughtfully designed down to the last detail, with beautiful Scandinavian-inspired decor, perfect staterooms and a dreamy spa that includes the best thermal suite at sea.”
• Best Spa – Luxury: “Viking’s impeccable thermal spa [onboard its ocean ships] includes everything you’d desire: a thalassotherapy pool, a series of hot and cold treatments, ceramic lounge chairs and built-in tranquility. Even better, whereas most cruise lines charge a premium for thermal spa time, Viking has bucked the trend, making access complimentary. The cruise line has smartly partnered with LivNordic, providing passengers with innovative, high-quality treatments. Viking sets the bar sky-high for cruise ship spas.”
• Best for First-Timers – River: “River cruising newbies don’t have to look further than Viking River Cruises. The line has a vast fleet of Longships and offers a smart package of inclusions, such as beer and wine at lunch and dinner, a shore excursion at each port, onboard enrichment sessions, free Wi-Fi and alternative terrace dining. Frequent air specials mean this might be the easiest vacation you ever book.”
• Best Itineraries – River: “Take one river cruise and you’ll be hooked. Viking makes it easy to sail throughout the world – from Vietnam and China, to Russia, Ukraine and most European rivers, Viking offers consistency and interesting programming on ships that are brand new.”
The announcement from Cruise Critic adds to an impressive list of recent accolades for Viking. Earlier this year, Viking was again voted the Best River Cruise Line by Condé Nast Traveler in the publication’s 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards – and was named the #1 ocean cruise line for the third straight year in Travel + Leisure’s 2018 World’s Best Awards. Earlier this year, the company dominated the Cruise Critic 8th Annual Cruisers’ Choice Awards, receiving 10 First Place honors. Additionally, all five of Viking’s ocean ships have been awarded a top rating of five stars by Cruise Critic.
The Viking Difference
Designed for discerning travelers with interests in history, art, music and cuisine, Chairman Torstein Hagen often says Viking offers guests “the thinking person’s cruise” as an alternative to mainstream cruises. Ships are small to get guests closer to their destination, with more time in port and more overnights. On board, guests find serene Scandinavian spaces, where every room is both beautiful and functional, quiet and filled with light. With the most al fresco dining opportunities at sea, featuring regional cuisine and always-available American classics, Viking’s guests can truly dine in their destination. A focus on cultural enrichment brings immersive experiences on shore and on board. And only The Viking Way® of exploration provides guests with itineraries that feature Local Life, Working World and Privileged Access® experiences.
In addition, Viking offers a compelling value compared to other cruise lines. Every cruise fare includes an outside stateroom, a complimentary shore excursion in each port of call, all onboard meals, and all port charges and government taxes. Guests also enjoy many complimentary amenities as part of their fare, including: beer and wine with lunch and dinner service; alternative restaurant dining; Wi-Fi; self-service laundry; access to the Thermal Suite in the LivNordic Spa; and 24-hour room service.
For additional information, contact Viking at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464) or visit www.vikingcruises.com.